Veggie and the Beast gets the credit for creating this amazing recipe - I just added Liefie's Salted Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce to make it perfect!
Vegan Salted Caramel Lava Cakes
Gooey vegan chocolate cakes filled with salted caramel. Decadent, easy, and perfect for date night!
YIELD: 2 cakes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoons ground flax
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar, ground until fine (or granulated)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Liefie's Salted Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce - cold.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine the flax and water, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a medium-sized glass bowl. Set over a pot of simmering water, and let melt, using a rubber spatula to stir occasionally. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Pour applesauce, sugar, vanilla, and flax/water mixture into the melted chocolate, and mix. Add the salt, cocoa powder, and baking powder, and whisk until just incorporated. Add the flour and whisk again until just incorporated.
- Liberally grease 2 7-ounce ramekins. Divide ⅔ of the batter among the ramekins, then put ½ tablespoon of salted caramel in the center of each ramekin. Top with the remaining batter, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then use a knife to gently cut along the sides to separate the cake from the ramekin. Top one ramekin with an upside-down plate, then invert. Let the ramekin sit upside down for 15 seconds, and gently lift. The center will be a little sunken and very gooey - that's what you want! Repeat with other ramekin.
- Serve warm with additional Liefie's Salted Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce.